What is a Public Library?
A public library refers to a kind of library which can be easily accessed by the public. In most cases, this type of library is funded generally by public sources including tax money. It is also mainly operated by civil servants. If you are planning to start a public library, then you should know that it mainly comes with 5 fundamental characteristics. One of these is that all public libraries are supported generally by taxes, in most cases local, although there are certain cases when any government level can offer contributions. Other fundamental characteristics of public libraries are governed by a reliable board which aims to effectively serve public interest, open to everyone and all community members, they are voluntary which means that the members of the community will never be forced to utilize the provided services and that the services can be used without any charges.
It should be noted that a public library is different from a school library, research library and any other specialized library since the former’s aim is to generally serve the information needs of the public. You can expect it to provide its services for free including preschool story times that aim to promote early literacy. It also works in providing a quieter and more convenient work and study areas for both professionals and students and book clubs that aim to promote literature appreciation. Users are typically allowed to bring home books and other reference materials temporarily.
Brainmeasures Public Library Certification Program
If you are in charge of starting public library, then you should consider participating in the public library certification program which is now introduced by the leading provider of the most comprehensive online certification courses at present named Brainmeasures. Your decision to enrol in the public library course offered by this company is proven to be really rewarding because it gives you the opportunity to learn everything about establishing an effective public library. It offers you the chance to undergo a public library training which works in your attempt to generate a more comprehensive understanding about the major characteristics of public libraries, the basics of starting one, where to find the best sources of funds for the public library, managing its affairs and hiring the right people to work in improving the services offered by your established public library. Once you receive your public library certificate, you will find it easier to manage the organization and make sure that it continues to deliver the best to the community that it is serving.
Highlights of the Public Library Certification Program from Brainmeasures
The public library certification program which is now easily accessible at Brainmeasures is your ticket towards understanding how different public libraries work. With the proven comprehensiveness of this Brainmeasures public library certification course, you will have an easier time generating a more complete understanding about the following essential and relevant topics:
- Introduction to starting a public library
- Understanding the fundamental characteristics common to libraries that serve the general public
- Learning how public libraries operate
- Things that you need to establish an effective people’s library
- Gathering the right people to build your team
- Finding the best sources of funds to guarantee a more secure financing for your public library
- How to effectively shape the organization and make it known to the public?
- Taking good care of this type of business
- Establishing an effective long-term plan for your public library
- How to effectively participate in cooperative arrangements and the importance of doing this for the successful operations of the people’s library?
- Basics of furnishing your established public library and filling it with the right equipment
- How to develop the best materials for your collection?
- Establishing a good plan that will let you offer the best services to the public
- Building the most effective promotional campaigns for the public library
Beneficiaries of Public Library Certification Program
Earning a public library certification is proven to be really beneficial to hundreds of individuals and professionals. This certification program can be expected to offer more benefits to those who are responsible in starting up a public library and who are tasked in administering all the affairs of this organization including budgeting and promotions including public librarians, public library administrators, supervisors and staff.
Job Opportunities after Completing a Public Library Certification Course
Your public library certification can also help you out especially if you strongly aim to start accessing numerous employment opportunities. As a public library certification holder, you will have an easier time filling the following essential positions:
- Public Library Administrator
- Public Library Manager
- Public Library Supervisor
- Certified Public Librarian
- Public Library Budget Officer
- Public Library Director
Expected Salary for Public Library Certification Holders
A more rewarding pay can also be received by those who have successfully completed a public library certification course. As a public library certification holder, working as a public library manager will become easier and this profession lets you enjoy an average pay of $60,000 annually. The certification that you receive will also let you work as a public library director which increases your chances of earning around $55,000 to $84,000 per year.